Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bloedel Reserve revisited

The Reflection Pool, like a mirrow showing the surrounding forest and a changing sky above.

I've been enjoying house guests from Sweden for the last two weeks, thereof the silence on my blog. Seattle showed its best side during these last, warm days of summer. We even managed to spend a day on the beach, swimming and eating our dinner under a glowing sunset over lake Washington.

Eager to share my favourites here, I managed to drag my friend to some of the treasures of the Pacific Northwest. A trip to Bloedel Reserve (see my previous post here with more details), had a top priority on my list. There is something very special about this graceful garden, opening amongst the lush, wild nature of Bainbridge Island. This was my third visit within six months, and I never grow tired of wandering through its winding paths, enjoying its calm spirit. Only a true appreciation and love for nature can produce such a dignified combination of garden design and wilderness as can be experienced at the Bloedel Reserve.

I took some new pictures, in another weather and another season. As somebody said, a garden is never the same; the light is never the same, the clouds are never the same, and the plants are always changing. Just like we and life itself...
K

A path through the meadow cleans the senses before wandering further into the forest and garden. The Robinia pseudoacacia 'Friesia' acts like a exlamation mark against the dark forest.

After the dark forest, a man made pond reflects the sky and the well-tended gardens around the house.

The view behind the house (that can be seen from the inside too, but photography is not allowed there).

A closer look at the grass bank against the sea...

The Japanese guest house, with a beautifully raked gravel garden.

Cornus kousa, Korean dogwood, full of red, warty-looking fruit.

The moss garden, thankful for some rain after a long, hot summer.

Beautiful, evergreen deer ferns (Blechnum spicant) in the moss garden.

The Bloedel Reserve is on Bainbridge Island Washington, and it is blessed by the mild, moist climate of Puget Sound. About 84 acres are second growth forest, and the remainder are altered landscapes, including various gardens, ponds and meadows. The Reserve was once the home of the Bloedel Family, which is primarily responsible for its growth and development. The vision of the Bloedels is now interpreted and extended by the Arbor Fund.
*

5 comments:

Well Done said...

one of my favorite places. I want to sleep on the moss.

The Intercontinental Gardener said...

... and I could think of living in that big library of garden books; shelves after shelves of wonderful books from all times. After that, I would probably go and sort out my thoughts by the reflecting pool.

Gardeness said...

So lovely and peaceful. It was great seeing you the other day. Hope to meet up soon, again.

nilla|utanpunkt said...

Tack för en trevlig kommentar hos mig! Och vilket fantastiskt ställe du visar. Favoriten är "poolen", vilket poetiskt utryck, ändå så "enkelt". Så många fantastiska trädgårdar du har runt ikring dig där borta!

Bay Area Tendrils said...

Lovely to see this, especially the moss garden. It's been quite a while since my last visit, but I show vignettes of Bloedel when I'm invited to speak. In some ways it's like reliving the experience of being there. But all the images are 35mm slides. Technology is moving too rapidly: I wish it would slow it down a bit.... Alice